Friday, June 25, 2010

Update 2

Well, still no orcas.


For the most part, it’s been cloudy and rainy. Today was the first day in several that the sun came out. We rearranged the fire pit outside and soaked up the sun, and then I waded in the cold water of the little bay.


Bathing on Hanson Island is an experience, to say the least. Currently there is no shower up and running, so you must use the outside bathtub. The bathtub is situated on the rocks, with a good view of Blackfish Sound and an awesome view of the bay when it’s high tide. You must first take the hose and put a sock over it so that any dirt in the water is captured - this water is unfiltered and comes from the stream. You must let it trickle out, which takes a good 3-4 hours to fill the tub. Then you must light a fire beneath the tub so that the water is nice and hot. It was way too hot for me at first, so I had to add two buckets of cold water before I could get in. You must wash before you get in the tub, because the water in the tub is used by other people as well. You have to sit on a wooden plank when you get in the tub or else your butt will be nice and burnt.


Animal-wise, I’ve seen several more Humpbacks, as well as Dall’s porpoise and Harbor porpoise. I have seen plenty of the local Harbor seals at dusk and dawn. Also saw three Stellar’s Sea Lions! They were huge, and were very cool.


A couple of days ago, I was waiting to help Melanie bring in chopped wood, and I heard a small “whoosh” - I looked, but saw nothing, not even in the distance. I shrugged it off, thinking I heard something in the wind. Then I heard it again, a minute later - still nothing. Finally I walked up the deck a little. I heard the ‘whoosh!’ again, and there it was - a Minke whale, right in front of the lab! It couldn’t have been more than 50 feet in front of it. I saw it’s distinctive tall dorsal, and it was small - the size of an orca. They are small but beautiful baleen whales. I ran up the deck (no camera, of course...) and watched it turn and head mid-channel. It surfaced twice before disappearing. What a cool experience!


Melanie is leaving tomorrow and Helena is heading to a meeting, so I will be alone with Fiona on the island for a day. I can’t wait to get into town, I’m in need of snack foods and clean clothes! (And my books, too. Been boring at night without that entertainment.)


Other than that, not much has gone on. It’s still been fun, of course. I just can’t wait for the orcas to show up.


Until next time,


Emily

1 comment:

  1. I had a dream you were watching orcas - they're on their way, I can feel it. Soon.... :-)

    ReplyDelete